Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What a blessing

This week's workout was absolutely wonderful, in many ways.

Tammy Stanbrough has been a fitness trainer since 1982. Her southern accent mirrors her hospitality.
“I teach this water aerobics class at my home and I’ve been doing this for five years at the house.”
Tammy welcomes everyone, every Tuesday and Thursday evening, weather permitting.
“We have all ages, all fitness levels. We have just about anything for everybody.”
We begin by jogging in place. This isn’t so bad, but then come the water noodles. They add some resistance and force you to use your core to stay afloat. Suddenly, Tammy’s southern accent takes on a drill sergeant tone, but the same women keep coming back for more, week after week.
“I have people from all over the metro: Grimes, Polk City – they come from everywhere.”
Tammy is from Florida. She moved here years ago, not knowing anyone. She says many of these women were her first friends. They’re now like family.
“They have been with me for 11 years now and the camaraderie and the social aspect of this keep these people active. Plus, I keep feeding them treats and they keep coming back,” Tammy says with a hearty laugh.
Tammy gives a lot, but she also receives a lot in return. That became clear when the breast cancer she thought she’d beat in 2002, returned seven years later.
“I wound up going back to Mayo and they told me not only was there one cancer tumor, there were three.”
Doctors took out the tumors and reconstructed her body during a 16 hour surgery. Tammy also received chemotherapy and radiation. But after a few months off, Tammy is back.
“I’m blessed,” she says. “It’s gone – again.”
She believes her recovery is due, in part to her workouts, and her workout buddies.
“It’s been a very good blessing to have these people in my life.”

Have a healthy week!
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment