Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The first step

Hello friends! I hope you're staying safe out there in the snow and cold. If you need a way to warm up - how about a workout? :) This week you'll meet a great guy who's taking his first steps toward a healthier life.

“My goal is, number one to get fit,” says Matt Reece, “I want to lose one hundred pounds.” It’s an ambitious goal, and he’s hoping that all of you will help him do it, just by watching his journey.

We meet up with Matt five am on a frigid Wednesday at the Farrell's in Waukee. "Well, my wife gave this to me as a Christmas gift..." he says with a shrug. You might be thinking - some gift!?! But Matt says it's the best present he could've gotten. "I didn't feel that bad. I mean no medications, no high blood pressure, no diabetes or anything like that." But he knew his weight was out of control, and it happened to him just like it does to a lot of people. "Oh, I don't know... after we got married and had kids and then the holiday pounds didn't come back off… it’s just gradually, gradually, gradually...,” Matt laughs, “I just got old and short and fat, I guess!”

We meet a lot of people once they've achieved their goals, but Matt agrees to let the camera start rolling now, when the finish line still seems a long ways off. "Yeah, to be honest I've told all my friends and family because the more people know the more I'm going to stick with it. What better way to keep me on track? I didn't set out to be on TV, but that's going to keep me going." And as most of us know - that kind of motivation can make a huge difference. "I want to buy regular sized clothes, be fit, and wrestle my son who’s a junior, and have it be fair!" And now Matt's putting in more effort than he ever thought he would. "My plan was to sit in the back of the class and do it to please her," he says sheepishly. "It's hard work,” we say. “It is hard work,” Matt nods, “you can see I'm sweating – in fact, I'm soaked!" Thanks to a Christmas gift that's going to keep on giving. "It's been a good thing. After all, my wife spent the money so if I don't come I'll hear it!"

We'll be keeping track of Matt as his efforts continue. He's even been recording some of his own material for us so we'll try to post it here in the WOW section of the website.

Have a healthy week!
EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment