Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's not rocket science

Hello friends!

This week we're bringing you another success story. I really love this one because it highlights just how simple it is to lose weight and get healthy. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying it's easy. I'm saying it's simple. You've got to burn more calories than you consume. That's it.


Thousands of downtown workers use the skywalk system to get where they're going, but Chris Anderson is using it to get fit. "I've lost just over 80 pounds in one year," he says with pride. And he did it without joining a gym, wearing fancy workout clothes or using expensive equipment. "Just getting out in the skywalk over my lunch hour for 45 minutes - makes it easy to get out and move." It's easy - and effective. "I'm proof that getting out and moving more than you did before will really do it."

Chris also joined Weight Watchers, which is a huge help when it comes to avoiding skywalk snacking. "You get temptation all the time around here – cookies, ice cream, French Fries … so before I walk, I have a salad."

And he isn't strolling. Chris covers a lot of ground in 45 minutes and he builds in intervals by running up and down stairs. Sonya and I are sucking air after awhile. All of this is a big change for him. "You still live your life; you’re just living it a little differently,” he says. These are changes Chris knew he had to make when his size 40 pants were too tight. "When you hear obese, it really makes you think. When you hear morbidly obese you're like, wow ... am I really that large?” He was. The pounds had been piling on since college. His family inspired him to take them off. "I wanted to be there for them. I wanted to be healthy, for him to enjoy being around me and me being able to do what he does. The extra stuff I can do with my son, like helping with soccer and running around the field and not feeling winded.... it’s awesome."

Chris has more energy for family - for work - for life. "Your overall attitude changes,” Chris says with a smile. “I’m a happier person."

If you want to be happier - and healthier - turn off the computer, put down the junk food, lace up your shoes and go for a walk. It's gorgeous outside - what's your excuse?!?!

EEK
Erin.Kiernan@whotv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment